Friday, July 8, 2011

One-armed adult scrambled eggs.



Epiphany time! It occurred to me last night as the ballerina and I sat around a coffee table completely covered in unopened mail, that we were taking part in a defining moment of adulthood.

I have, for many years now, convinced myself that if I keep a bill safely sealed in its envelope with the ‘intention’ of opening it ‘eventually’ that it doesn’t exist. For me bills define what it means to be an adult. They represent responsibility, time management, financial planning and most importantly independence.

Not opening bills in the past has resulted in my electricity and gas being cut, my licence expiring, debt collectors chasing me for a more than affordable unpaid pathology bill, and most recently a bungle with the ATO.  All of these situations could have been avoided if I had taken action the minute the mail arrived, instead of putting off the inevitable.

In the past few months I have slowly curbed this urge and follow these simple rules when the dreaded mail arrives.

  1. Never open it before bed or on a Friday night. If the news is bad there is nothing you can do until business hours and there is no sense stressing about it until then.
  2. If it is a bill you simply can’t afford call them straight away and work out a payment plan. Past experience has proven they are SO much more helpful if you just talk to them. Running away just actions the debt collectors.
  3. Ignoring it does not make it go away.

No I haven’t changed careers. I am most certainly not your financial planner. Ha! Could you imagine? I’m telling you all of this because this week I got myself in to a right old mess. I Fucked up my tax, I just forked out an exorbitant amount of money on my green slip and car rego, I dislocated my shoulder in yoga which resulted in a $600 ambulance arriving to take me to the hospital. The rehabilitation of said shoulder will result in $110 weekly Osteopathy bills and it’s been a bitch washing my hair in the morning when I can’t lift my right arm above shoulder height!

Last week I had none of these problems. Last week I was debt free. Last week I was quite enjoying being a self sufficient, single, 27 year old female who just got a promotion. This week I just want to be a kid again.

Which brings me to this week’s recipe.

Green vegetable and scrambled egg mash-up
Serves 2

This recipe is a representation of this weeks struggle. Its budget friendly (I am bleeding money at the moment), it’s incredibly easy (cooking with one arm is challenging to say the least), it’s low in fat (which is handy since I have been banned from the gym until I get the all clear from my osteo), and it’s full of flavour (ummmm yum?).
It also reminds me of my childhood. Scrambled eggs at dinner time was one of my favourite meals. This is an adult’s version of scrambled eggs. I think you’re gonna love it. I’ve been having it for dinner but it would work equally well for breakfast or lunch.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon of olive oil
3 cm piece of ginger, finely grated
5 cm piece of leek, finely sliced
4 florets of broccoli, chopped into bite sized bits
1 small zucchini, finely chopped
½ bunch of Kale, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons of sweet chilli sauce (optional)
4 eggs
2 tablespoons of water
½ avocado
Coriander

Method

  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add ginger, leek, broccoli, zucchini and kale until vegetables begin to soften slightly. Add sweet chilli sauce. 
  2. Meanwhile whisk 4 eggs in a small bowl with 2 tablespoons of water.
  3. Add eggs to saucepan and push them through the vegetables until they scramble to your liking (I like mine kinda runny).
  4. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with sliced avocado and coriander.

Note: I sprinkled mine with sesame seeds, but chia seeds would be just as tasty.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...