Good morning! How did you start this gloomy March morning? I started with that quinoa porridge you can see in the top left hand corner of your screen! Pretty yummy looking hey? Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. I Usually think about what I'm going to eat as I drift off to sleep at night. And god forbid if i get up for my morning gym class and make it all the way through without fantasising about the big B.
This little beauty took me 3 minutes to whip up in the work kitchenette, it tastes amazing and most importantly it'll keep me going until lunchtime. Which for me is a huge deal. I have what some might refer to as a 'healthy' appetite. My tummy is like clockwork, grumbling every two hours - that is until I discovered quinoa.
An ancient grain of the incas (like most super foods- these dudes were on to something) quinoa has the highest protein content of the grains so it keeps you fuller for longer. Awesome! It's not just a food of tree hugging hippies either, quinoa is everywhere at the moment. It's got more calcium than dairy, it's a great source of vitamin B and E and it's also packed full of iron which makes it an awesome choice for vegos. But this isn't about the quinoa. Well not for now anyway.
The quinoa was just a way of introducing you to my new blog. Hi! Welcome!
If you’re a follower of Berries & Scotch I think you’ll enjoy this blog too, although it’s a different path. It’s a more personal journey a little window into MY way of eating. The foods I buy, I cook, and discover for my own wellbeing. There'll be lots of pics of my kitchen, my desk at work and my coffee table - my three main watering holes, and you're more than likely to benefit from my current obsession with quinoa-there have been days when it has featured at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Everyday I discover something new about our bodies, and how food is our ultimate life force and healer. Which for me is pretty awesome since i eat a lot of it! It's no coincidence that we feel rejuvenated after a bowl of greens and sluggish after a greasy burger and fries. I've got a thirst for knowledge when it comes to this stuff. I had every food allergy under the sun as a kid so i learnt at an early age the effects of food on my moods, skin and wellbeing.
I grew out of most of the major allergies but still to this day i can tell when my body is about to have a reaction and more often than not i can prevent it or at the very least reduce the symptoms.
I love trawling through food blogs, holistic articles and whole food cookbooks. I absorb information that friends share with me about their new fave foods and stories of miracle teas and the best organic grocery stores. When people like Sarah Wilson speak of how she believes she has successfully been able to treat her hashimotos (an auto immune disease) by eating the right foods and listening to her body I get so excited! For her of course but also for the rest of us.
This is the stuff i want to share with you guys. Not in a preachy way either. In a 'hey bet you didn't know you could whip up something like this and it could potentially enhance your mood, give you energy, strength, help you sleep better and maybe even make your eyes sparkle' kinda way.
Everyday I come across new information that validates this philosophy. That is what I want to share with you. I’m finding it so fascinating and I’m sure you will too. And aside from the science of it there is some absolutely delicious food out there which is more than just good for you it is potentially life changing. I have been exposed to a whole other ethos of ingredients and flavours thanks to the 'whole food' movement.
I'm currently reading 'Healing with Whole Foods' by Paul Pitchford after a friend recommended it to me as 'the book everybody should have a copy of'. The more I read of it (this book is huge btw) the more I realise how valuable it's content is. I learn something new every time I turn the page and im sure you'll hear all about it. The information is way too cool to keep to myself.
I'm also at TAFE this year one day a week studying Commercial Cookery and I LOVE it! Don't be surprised if Tuesdays posts are a rant and a rave about all the amazing stuff I got to make the day before. It's funny ive been cooking at home for as long as I can remember but there is so much basic stuff that I didn't know, like how to clarify butter or julienne a carrot, i even deboned a whole chook the other day. AND the added bonus is that my food writing now has a different angle. Restaurant reviewing is 10 times more intriguing when you know exactly whats going on in that kitchen. Berries and scotch readers are in for a treat.
I’m hoping to update you daily, but sometimes life gets in the way. Stick with me if you can. I’ll update new posts on the Berries & Scotch facebook page. I'm not really sure how this is all going to work just yet but I'm really excited to find out.
Warmest Berries x
P.S I'll put that quinoa recipe up for you this afternoon. You're gonna LOVE it!

No comments:
Post a Comment